Things I remind myself when I paint - in no particular order
- Talent has nothing to do with it. Persistence has everything to do with it.
- Paint a lot. Paint bad stuff. Paint good stuff. Just paint.
- Don't fiddle. Let it dry. Do a second layer after it's dry if you need to.
- Put as much HOME as possible into every painting.
- You're not painting the THING. You're painting how the LIGHT hits the thing.
- Composition is more important than technique.
- It's about the LIGHT. Don't worry about the other stuff.
- Layers are good. Go to lunch. Let it dry. Look at it again and put on another layer.
- Change of plane = change of color.
- Distance is good. Put distance in every painting.
- Distance is good. Step back and look at your painting from 10 ft away.
- Paint standing so you can step back easily and look at things from distance.
- Do the art. Don't judge the art.
- You love the art, right? Let the art love you.