Friday, April 27, 2018

Permissions

Experiment in finding wabi sabi.  I'm still learning how to do that.

I've been considering my creative practice lately, which truthfully is mostly about getting through creative blocks.   As part of a plan to find a more comfortable way to work through transitions in the ebb and flow of creative work, I realized I need to give myself permission to do some things.    Here's my list.

It was interesting to realize that I use these with my students all the time, but I wasn't allowing myself the same space to be imperfect, etc.  It's time to fix that.  I have printed them out and put them on my studio wall to remind me of them.  Please feel free to use these yourselves.


  • I have permission to make a mess.
  • I have permission to work non-linearly.
  • I have permission to be afraid.
  • I have permission to be uncomfortable.
  • I have permission to change my mind.
  • I have permission to try something new.
  • I have permission to make something that sucks.
  • I have permission to ruin something.
  • I have permission to do things over and over again.
  • I have permission to be a bad artist.
  • I have permission to take my time.
  • I have permission to give myself time to think about things.
  • I have permission to change my process.
  • I have permission to garden instead.
  • I have permission to stop and learn or study something.
  • I have permission to share all of my work even my crappy work.
  • I have permission to be a beginner.
  • I have permission to go for a walk.
  • I have permission to be excited about new things even if they're crap.
  • I have permission to be an emerging artist until I am an experienced artist.
  • I have permission to make a lot of crap as I explore.
  • I have permission to explore all sorts of things.
  • I have permission to do bad art  [really bad art].
  • I have permission to talk about my bad art.
  • I have permission to teach what I know, even if that isn't very much right now.
  • I have permission to be happy about this whole process, even if I make bad art and don't know very much.
  • I have permission to be a confident explorer of all kinds of new creative things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...