I love violets.
Really, really love them.
When I was a kid I read a piece in the newspaper about making violet jelly. So I made some. I was probably 13 or 14 or so. It didn't turn out that year, but I never forgot about it and later on when I was older I found Ewell Gibbons' book, Stalking the Healthful Herbs. He had a recipe in there for violet jelly and so I made some and it worked!
This is all it takes:
4 cups sugar
1 pkg pectin
- Pick enough violets to stuff a pint jar. Take the green parts off.
- Put the petals in the jar and cover with boiling water.
- Let sit and steep overnight.
- Strain petals out and add enough water to make 2 cups of violet juice.
- Make jelly according to the instructions on your pectin.
Which one do I like best? I like Ball low sugar pectin because it doesn't matter how much sugar I choose to use. I can use that same pectin for lots of sugar [violet jelly] or not so much sugar [blackberry jelly].
Rumor has it that you can make dandelion jelly this way, too. The Ks vetoed that. They have no interest in dandelion jelly. If I can work up the fortitude to pick that many dandelions on my own, I just might try it anyway.