Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Rhubarb Marmalade

In the middle of all the peach projects, I realized that I needed to use up our rhubarb while it was fresh. 

I heart rhurbarb. 

Mostly because I haven't killed any in Two Whole Years!

Yay me!


I made Rhubarb Marmalade with our rhubarb.   It was so good, that I made a second batch.

Rhubarb Marmalade

6 Cups rhubarb, chopped
6 Cups sugar
2 oranges
1/4 Cup crystallized ginger

Wash the oranges well and cut them in half.   Put the oranges and the ginger in the food processor and process the living haybales out of it.   [We say stuff like that in southern Indiana.   But not often.]

Put the rhubarb, orange juice/ginger goo, and sugar in a heavy pot and cook.   Stir often.   Let it get to a hard boil, then turn it down and simmer it for an hour.  

Ladle into clean, hot jars.   Process for canning.   [Pints and jelly jars 10 minutes.]

Notes:  

I like this recipe because it doesn't require any pectin.   If you like very thick marmalade, let it cook until it sheets off a cool spoon.   That will take more than an hour, especially if you've cut down the sugar...

and you can probably use less sugar, but I like my marmalade sweet.   Try a batch and see what you think. 

Want the recipe for this Marmalade and a whole lot of other terrific jam recipes?   Check out my ebook:  A Simple Jar of Jam  at www.rurification.etsy.com.   You can preview the book by clicking the link on the sidebar.  Every purchase helps support this site.  Thank you!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...