Friday, August 26, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Our zucchini was kaput this year.    It suffered an early attack by vine borers and it never recovered.   It's still making a valiant effort, but I'm only seeing male flowers.    Kinda pathetic, but I just can't bring myself to pull it up.   I've got a month until frost [fingers crossed] and it might produce some yet.    In the meantime, I'm eating zucchini from the bounty of others.    Thank you all!  

My kids had never had zucchini cake, so I decided to make one, but with chocolate. 

OK, I know you've seen these recipes before and you're probably rolling your eyes - another zucchini cake recipe - blah, blah, blah - but this recipe is remarkably fudgy.

Yes, you read that right.  

Fudgy.   Moist and dark and delicious.   So much so that I'm going to change the name right now to Fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Cake. 
Now that you've seen this fabulous picture, you're going to want to make one yourself with your own zucchini bounty.   I'll try not to be jealous.


Fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Cake 
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sour cream, yogurt or buttermilk
  • 3/4 cup oil
  • 3 cups grated zucchini [1 good sized zucchini]
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
Preheat oven 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 9x11 inch pan.   Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well - you don't want globs of baking soda in your finished cake, trust me.    Beat eggs.   Add eggs, sour cream and oil.    Mix well.    Fold in nuts and zucchini until well mixed.   Bake for 50-60 minutes.   Don't over bake - you want to keep it moist.  

The kids loved this.   We ate it for breakfast.   With homemade whipped cream. 

I'm thinking it would be so so good with dark chocolate icing.    Or cream cheese icing.   Or just with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.   
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...