Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rustic Fruit Desserts



I've been wanting this book by Cory Schreiber and Julie Richardson for ages.  I found it on Amazon but hadn't had a chance to look through it in person, so I kept putting off the final purchase.  I finally took the leap and got it for us for Christmas.

Boy, am I glad I got it.

We love fruit desserts - for breakfast.  We have a freezer full of fruit.    We love finding new ways to bake it up.

There are over 60 recipes in the book, divided into the seasons, so that each section focusses on the fruit that you're likely to find during that part of the year.

Page 3 is a list of the types of fruit dishes and definitions for each of them so that you know the difference between a pandowdy and a slump, a buckle and a betty.

Here are the names of a few of the recipes from each season.

Spring:
  • Rhubarb and Bing Cherry Brown Betty
  • Boozy Dried Cherry, Chocolate and Hazelnut Bread Pudding
  • Lemon Buttermilk Rhubarb Bundt Cake
Summer:
  • Raspberry Red Currant Cobbler
  • Lemon Blueberry Buckle
  • Vanilla Spiked Plum Galette
Fall:
  • Maple Apple Dumpling
  • Fig and Mixed-Color Raspberry Crumble
  • Upside-down Pear Chocolate Cake
Winter
  • Cranberry Upside-down Almond Cake
  • Pear Sauce
  • Apple Pandowdy
Then there's a little section at the back of things you can make to keep in your pantry/fridge/freezer that make assembly of the recipes a bit faster.  Here are a few:
  • Chantilly Cream
  • Vanilla Crumb
  • Galette Dough
I'm so glad I got this book.   I highly recommend it!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...