Thursday, June 28, 2012

Beaver Pond

Not far down the road from us is a big mucky, swampy, buggy, wet beaver marsh and pond.

Here's a tree they were trying to take down.  Our neighbor put a stop to it by cutting down the tree himself.   It's big.

Really big.

Imagine how long it would take to chew a tree down.   I get a headache just thinking about it.

And just look at how close he got to felling it.


Did you know that female beavers are just as big and sometimes bigger than the males?

Beavers keep growing their whole lives.   They live to be around 24 years old and can weigh 55 lbs.   I don't know about you, but I'd be a little intimidated if I met a 55 lb creature that could chew down trees.

The truth is, in all these years, I've only seen the lodge, the chewed trees and the pond, never the beavers.   I'm kind of glad now.

The lodge is way back behind that ginormous swamp rose at the back of the marsh in the pic.

A two acre swamp rose smells really wonderful.  Just so know you.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...