Monday, September 2, 2013

Making Pie Filling with Perma Flo

As you know, I've been doing a lot of experimenting with Perma Flo in my quest to make pie filling that I can can and will stay shelf stable for a long time.  

Note: Perma Flo and Therm Flo are the same thing [as far as I've been told.  Correct me if you know better.].  These directions will work for either product.

Experiment 1 is here. I followed their directions to add the dry Perma Flo to the boiling fruit mix. I didn't like that it clumped hard immediately in the pot.  Left some clumps in final pie.

Experiment 2 is here. Runny.  [Hey, I had to start somewhere.  If you're going to make a masterpiece, you've got to give yourself permission to make some duds.   This was definitely dud material.  But it was great over chocolate cake!]

Experiment 3 is here.  Still gloopy.  Left some clumps in final pie.

Experiment 4 is here.  Good!  But got thick super fast. 

Yeah, it's been a real journey.   I'm thorough.

I am happy to report that my final experiment with Perma Flo was a complete success.   I decided to see what would happen if you added the Perma Flo slurry to the cold fruit goo before you boiled it.

It worked!

This is my favorite way to use Perma Flo.  It works with either macerated or fresh fruit and gives a terrific product.   One quart of pie filling makes one pie. 

UPDATE 7/2015:  After a couple more years of playing with this I've refined the recipe and method so that it's more consistent and easier. Multiply this recipe by the number of quarts of pie filling you want.  Your batch can be as big as your pot can handle, but I like doing batches of no more than 1 packed gallon of fruit, which makes about 5-6 quarts of filling.   

Making Pie Filling with Perma Flo:  for 1 pie. 
www.rurification.com

3/4 cup sugar  [1 1/2 cup sugar for sour cherries]
1/4 cup Perma Flo [1/3-1/2 cup for sour cherries or very juicy fruit]
4-6 cups fruit [fresh or frozen]
1/4 cup water [1/2 cup for less juicy, fresh fruit]

Mix the Perma Flo and sugar in a bowl and set it aside.  Put the fruit and water in a large pot and add the sugar/perma flo mix.   Mix well.   Heat to boil,  stirring constantly.   When it reaches a boil, the Perma Flo will thicken and become clear. 

Ladle into jars.  Cover with clean lids and rings.  Process quarts 30 minutes.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...