Sunday, October 27, 2013

Ricotta Tart with Caramelized Onions

We've been working hard on various projects inside and outside lately and I haven't had much time to play in the kitchen.  I woke up a couple of Saturdays ago and realized I could spend the day baking. I had a hankering to make my own pie crusts [which does not happen very often] and to experiment with ricotta fillings.  I made a savory one and a sweet one. 

I saw this tart a few weeks ago and decided to do something similar with what I had in the pantry.

I had ricotta and onions.   And thyme.  And that odd hankering to make my own crusts [which does not happen very often.]

So I set to work.

Ricotta Tart with Caramelized Onions
www.rurification.com
  • 1 pie crust
  • 3 large onions
  • 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups ricotta cheese
  • a few grinds black pepper
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
Start caramelizing the onions in the butter right away.   I've talked about this before, but I'll review the salient points again.  You have to cook them down in a protein fat, like butter.   Butter is good.  Slice the onions thin and pop them into a big skillet.  Cook them down, down, down.  It takes at least an hour.   At. Least.  Salt them a bit.

Don't rush the onions.  You need that golden crispiness to bring out the sweet. 

While the onions are cooking you can make the pie crust and chill it.  Use your favorite recipe.

While the pie crust is chilling, you can mix up the filling.  Mix the cheese, pepper, thyme and garlic salt in a bowl and chill it until the onions are done.

When the onions are golden and browning, roll out the pie crust if you're making homemade.   Put the crust in a tart dish or on a flat baking sheet.  Put the cheese filling in the center of the crust and pile the finished onions on top.  If you're doing a tart pan, then flute the edges of the crust.  If you're doing a flat rustic tart, then spread the filling and onions to within 1 1/2 inches of the edge and fold the edge in over the cheese and onions.  Make it pretty.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the crust is golden.  Put it on a lower rack if you want a golden bottom as well.

Cool completely.  Delicious served at room temperature.  Or cold.  Or microzapped as leftovers.  We loved this tart!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...