Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Old Seeds

I have loads of old seeds.   Loads of them.    I never know which to keep and which to pitch.   Turns out a lot of other people have the same question every year and there are these wonderful charts to help me remember.

I found this chart at  http://awaytogarden.com/estimating-viability-how-long-do-seeds-last/


So.    I'll be pitching my old onion, parsnip and parsley seeds for sure.   And I'll be getting all new spinach seeds - maybe that's why we've had a problem growing spinach.  I was trying to use old seed...

When I was going through my box of seeds, I realized that I had a bunch of herb seed that was aging as well.   Here's a list of herb seed viability rates from The Herb Gardener:  http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/2013/01/seed-longevity-herbs.html
  • Angelica - 6 months (21 - 30 days)
  • Basil - 5 years (14 days)
  • Borage - 4 years (14 days)
  • Caraway - 3 years (18 days)
  • Catnip - 3 years (30 days)
  • Chamomile - 3 years (18 days
  • Chives - 2 years (10 - 20  days)
  • Cilantro - 2 years (21 days)
  • Coriander - 4 years (21 days)
  • Fennel - 3 years (18 days)
  • Lavender - 2 years (21 days)
  • Lemon Balm 3 years (21 days)
  • Marjoram - 2 years (15 days)
  • Mint - 3 years (30 days)
  • Oregano - 4 years (30 days)
  • Parsley - 2 years (30 days)
  • Rosemary - 3 years (14 - 28 days)
  • Rue - 2 years (21 days)
  • Sage - 4 years (28 days)
  • Summer Savory 2 years (28 days)
  • Thyme - 3 years (21 days)
It's nice to have these lists on one page now.   I hope they help you plan a great garden this year!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...