Friday, December 30, 2016

Snowstorm Coming

© Robin Edmundson, 'Snowstorm Coming', watercolor, 12 x 9 inches
Winter clouds have become a topic of dinner conversation around here as well as the subject of many photos emailed from job sites, highways, vacations, etc.    It's been fun.

What has been slightly less fun is mastering how to capture some of that atmosphere on paper.  The painting here was the 13th effort in 3 days.

I painted them dry.  I painted them wet.  I painted them wet and dry.  I painted them right side up and then upside down and then right side up again.   I painted with 3 different blues and 2 browns.  Big brushes.  Bigger brushes.  My regular brushes.  Fronts of papers, then backs of papers. I have a freakishly tall pile of winter cloud rejects in the studio right now.

But finally, this one worked.  I'd like to say it's because I finally figured out how to paint clouds, but I'd have to paint them 'right' every day for a month before I'd be willing to say I'd figured it out.

I'll keep practicing and they'll get easier - or at least take fewer drafts to get there.  In the meantime, I like these clouds.  I'm loving the snow specks on the barn.   And the footprints.   And the human.   [Big risk, putting that human in there.   It was the last thing I did.]

Deets:
140lb cp paper, Arches
12 x 9 inches
colors:  indigo, WN burnt sienna, raw umber, burnt umber
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...