Saturday, April 8, 2017

Work in Progress - Late March Farm



I've been working on more big paper.  This is 18 x 24 inches, and baby, that's a lot of paper to cover.  I am surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.  I was in the middle stages of this one when I had some friends over.

There something wonderful about having people come out to the studio and look at whatever I'm working on.  They see things I totally miss.  For example, the first version of this painting [not shown] had fall-ish trees in the back, winter trees up front, and green grass.  My friend looked at the painting and said, 'I'm seeing a lot of different seasons here.'    She was totally right!

I had been worrying about technique and color instead of ... the season.   Once she told me that, I knew I needed it to be early spring and I knew what changes I could make.  

The trees in the distance had been too orange [fall-ish].  I lifted out the color and put in a flatter gray.  Worked great.   I left the trees in the middle alone because our early spring trees still look like that.   Our grass is plenty green now where it's short and the henbit and horsemint are blooming pink and purple, so I left that in as well.   I brightened up the clouds and added a bit more blue for a clearer sky and better defined clouds in places.  

There is still more work to do, but I think this is well on its way.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...