Thursday, May 25, 2017

Color Experiments: Anatomy of a Series, Part 1

One of my artistic goals lately has been to paint my landscapes using colors from my hand-dyed yarns.   It's been a great way to think about things differently and to punch up a ho-hum landscape.

Plus, it's been so much fun using colors that I've been using in my dye shop for decades in a whole new way.

Here is my photo inspiration - A local pond off the highway.  Now remember, I am in no way trying to paint a photorealistic copy of the reference photo.   That's what photographs are for.   I'm going to try to paint that landscape in a new way.



Here is my yarn inspiration:

This is my fine bamboo yarn in the colorway, Vineyard.   I've been wanting to use these colors in a landscape for a while.   

The first thing I did was paint the reference pretty close to what's actually there.   I like to really focus on the lights and darks and large shapes.   

© Robin Edmundson, 'Solsberry Pond #1', watercolor, 10 x 14 inches, unframed. 

In the next draft, I softened out some of the colors and played with the shapes, still trying to get a feel for the light and composition.  That's a lot of foreground, so I shortened it up a bit.

© Robin Edmundson, 'Solsberry Pond #2', watercolor, 10 x 14 inches, unframed.

Not a bad start.   In the next post, I'll show you #3 and #4, with the colors from the yarn.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...