Sunday, May 28, 2017

Double Trees - An exercise in correction

© Robin Edmundson, 'Double trees', watercolor on paper, 9 x 14 inches.

I started this piece a few weeks ago just playing around with a composition of two sets of two trees.  I liked the trees, parts of the sky and some of the colors.  Then I set it aside because I really didn't like the foreground.

Then I took Sue Webb Tregay's 'Master Disaster' workshop in Indianapolis, which taught all the techniques in her fabulous book.   I came back and pulled this painting out and went to work.

I loved the trees the most, so I cropped out some of the sky to make the trees a better focus for the piece.  

The purple in the foreground had been MUCH stronger, so I took a lot of it out and  also some of the French ultramarine along the background fields.  

The bottom had been a weak gold, and I loved the stronger gold in the trees, so I layered on more of the strong gold in the bottom foreground.

It's a much better piece now and I'll be happy to hang it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...