Friday, August 18, 2017

Composition is King

© Robin Edmundson, 'Rusty Roof', watercolor on paper, 18 x 24 inches [Sold]


In all my art reading lately, I've been getting one message, loud and clear.

Composition is King


I've been collecting a few reminders to tack up on my studio board to help me think through things as I start a new piece.   Here they are in no particular order.  I'll keep adding to this list as I think of things.  

  • Composition is more important than technique.
  • What's your focal point?  Decide that first.
  • In every painting try to have a Master [focal point], Guest [secondary focal point], and Servant [other point of interest].
  • Simplify the shapes.
  • Make all the shapes interesting - even the negative space.   Especially the negative space.  
  • VALUE helps lead the eye around.   Make sure you've got good lights and darks.  

If Composition is King, then Value is Queen.   More on that later.

[If you liked this post, here's another list of things I remind myself when I paint.]


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...