Sunday, February 18, 2018

Embracing Your Human-ness

© Robin Edmundson, 'Sunset, Doug's Field', watercolor, 10 x 14 inches.  


We are taught from infants that we are to be perfect.   And that someone else gets to decide what perfect is.  It's a perfect recipe for disaster.

I wrote a few weeks ago about self-loathing.  It's hard not to be hard ourselves when we're constantly reminded that we don't measure up.  It's hard to take the risks we need to take when we're constantly reminded not to fail.

One way to step out of that dance is to embrace our human-ness.  Wink at our imperfection.  Make friends with our self-loathing.  Pat fear on the back and tell it to take the night off.

Confession:  That stuff is really hard for me.   I love the idea of it, but I'm not so good at doing it.

So.

I have put up there a recent painting that I'm not very happy with.  It was a big risk. I had a fabulous idea, but once again, my execution fell far short of my vision.  I am disappointed in myself.

Here is where I choose where to go next.  I have a few options:

1.  Delete the pic and this post and write about something else less difficult - like chocolate.
2.  Tell you why that painting is bad and why you should think so, too.
3.  Let the painting tell its own story and not dwell on whether you might like it or not.

In an effort to take my own advice, I chose #3. 

And then I thought a lot about Wabi Sabi, [which I've talked about before.]

And I remembered a thing called Kintsugi.  So I looked it up again and that was so cool, I kept reading and found this piece on what broken pottery can teach us about feeling flawed.

Think about your flaws for a minute.  Now imagine them filled with gold, stronger than ever.  The flaws have become the work of art. 

What if that is the real trick of embracing our human-ness?



Please consider joining our Best Self facebook group where we can talk freely about becoming our best selves - and all that that entails.  In addition, I have another group, The Well Balanced Artist, for creatives of all kinds and in all stages of their creative lives, who are trying to balance their art, business and personal lives. We'd love to have you!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...