Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Tulip Poplars and Sumac

© Robin Edmundson, 'Tulip Poplars and Sumac', watercolor, 18 x 24 inches.
Framed to 24 x 32 inches.  $750.

Some pieces take longer than others.  I did the first draft of this one waaay back in the fall and loved some things about and really didn't love others.   Mostly I loved the way it *felt*.

I showed it to a few other painters and got some feedback, which I didn't agree with, so I set it aside to think about. Eventually, I came back to it and tried a couple of things which didn't really work, so I took the advice I was given and discovered why I didn't agree with it.   In doing that, I learned a few extra things, so the experimentation was well worth the risk and result of a dud painting.

I painted another draft, tried more things, learn more things and was still not happy with the result.  So I painted another one.  And another.   And another.  And another.  And then this one.

I don't love this one as much as I find it interesting every time I see it. The version before was a bigger hit with the family, but this is the one that best says what I want it to say. 

The two versions sat side by side for a few weeks while I decided which I wanted to frame for my upcoming show.  Do I choose the one that is more popular with the viewers [and thereby has a better chance to sell?]  Or do I choose the one that most delights the artist? 

I chose this one.   I am delighted.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...