Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pesto

It's pesto time.

Pesto tastes like early misty sunrises and hot humid walks in the fields.    It makes me happy just thinking about it.

I make pesto with these basic ingredients.  
  • basil  [4 cups or so]
  • pistachios [1 cup or so, shelled]
  • olive oil  [1/4 cup or so]
  • garlic [3 cloves or so]
  • parmesan cheese [1/2 cup or so]
  • parsley [just a touch]
Put it all in a food processor and process until smooth.   

I never make it the same way twice because I never measure.   It's always good.  

Note:  I do not use pine nuts.   I don't really like them very much.   I love pistachios and they have enough salt to help cut the bitter.

Salt cuts bitter.   Did you know that? 

It's true.   Some people put salt in their coffee to cut the bitter.   I don't drink coffee, so I put salt in my pesto to cut the bitter. 

Rumor has it that the best, smoothest pesto happens when you use a mortar and pestle to grind it up.    I will never know because I have no intention of using a mortar and pestle to grind up as much pesto as we eat in a year.

We make pesto all summer and put the extra in jars to freeze.  We eat it on pasta, on green beans, on squash, on tomatoes, on mozzarella cheese and just plain with a spoon. 

Just plain with a spoon is my favorite.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...