Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Citrus Salts

I saw these over at Food in Jars and was instantly smitten.

Smitten, I tell you!

And since I've been making marmalade and stuff, I thought I'd give them a whirl. 

I made lemon salt and lime salt. They're so good.  

All you have to do is zest the fruit and mix it with salt.     I used the zest of 1 fruit and mixed it with a half cup of salt.

The zest makes the salt sort of damp, so I tried letting the zest dry out for a while to see if it made a difference.   It didn't.   The salts work great just like this - no fuss, no muss. 

Here are a few ways to use the salts:
  • adult drinks
  • grilled meats
  • skillet seafood and meat dishes [Loved it on pork.]
  • potatoes  [Lime salt on sweet potatoes!]
  • oven fried chicken
  • steamed vegetables 
  • popcorn
  • pasta

Citrus Salts
www.rurification.com
  • Zest of one lemon or lime
  • 1/2 cup salt
Shake the zest and salt together in a jar until well blended.   Enjoy!  They'll keep for a very long time and make great gifts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...