I made some citrus sugars at the same time. Because if you're going to zest one lime, you might as well zest another. And another. And then a lemon or two or three while you're at it. And then stir that zest into sugar and make yourself a jar of lemon sugar and then a jar of lime sugar.
They're so good.
Have I said that before?
For the sugars, I decided to use a whole cup of sugar for every fruit I zested. The flavors were more delicate that way.
Delicate is good. Sweet and delicate is even better.
Here are some ways you can use these citrus sugars:
- In drinks of all sorts - like tea!
- Sprinkle on cookies
- Sprinkle on muffins
- Sprinkle on top of frosting for a citrusy sparkle.
- A spoonful in a glass of sparkling water is delish!
- As a substitute for plain sugar in shortbread or spritz cookies.
- In puddings
- Sprinkled over fruit kabobs
- In candied sweet potatoes
- zest of one fruit
- 1 cup sugar