Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sweet Potatoes Ready to Plant



Those sweet potato starts really took off when the weather got warm.   Remember that - sweet potatoes like heat!

If you start them early, then keep them where it's warm and give them plenty of water.   
I put ours in the ground a couple of a weeks ago along with a few slips purchased from the store.    These have stayed much happier than the slips.  This is how I'm doing them from now on:
  • Cut them in half and submerge in a jar of water with the end sticking out.  
  • Let it stay where it's bright and warm. 
  • When they have roots and leaves, plant them.
If I laid them on their sides in water, then I'd probably get roots all along the bottom and leaves on the top.  Then, I'd be able to cut them in to 3 or 4 starts per potato and they'd go further.   I'm not sure how to do that in a way that wouldn't take a lot of counter space, which is at a premium here.    I'll keep thinking about it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...