Rhubarb is a perennial plant that is easy to grow as long as it gets plenty of rich soil. It does not like clay. It does like sand and it loves manure. I put mine in raised beds with lots of sand and every spring I dump some chicken dirt around it. We're well rewarded every year.
Here is a list of wonderful rhubarb recipes for you to try this year. You'll notice we like to mix berries with rhubarb. It's a Midwestern thing.
- Strawberry Rhubarb pie - our favorite!
- Rhubarb Flaunard - it's like a clafouti, which is like a fruit custard. Delicious!
- Berry Rhubarb Crisp
- Rhubarb Marmalade
- Strawberry Rhubarb Jam - great with vanilla, too!
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cream Cheese Coffee Cake - also fantastic with plain rhubarb.
- Food in Jars has a post listing 10 ways to use or preserve rhubarb. They look fantastic!
- Here's a link to how to freeze or can rhubarb in 6 easy steps.