Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Poop Quiz

It's been a while, I know.   

But I'm always on the lookout for good poop to show you.

It's what makes living in the country so exciting. 

See those little yellow and gold spots in the pic?    Those are on the lid of our Flower Lang beehive.   We took the top off and set it on its edge while we were installing the bees.

Which totally gives away who is responsible for the poop, I know. 

After we had dumped the bees in the hive, many of them took off into the air and then dumped their loads.    It was a bit like rain.   Only it left gold spots. 

Bee poop, like all poop, can tell you a lot about the health of the hive.    Bees can get a disease called nosema, which causes dysentery in the bees.   If I were an experienced beekeeper, I could tell just by looking whether any of these bees had nosema.  

If you're a beek who knows, then drop a line in the comments and fill us in on the clues.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...