We actually had a thaw here, so it's time to get serious about the garden plan for the year.
So, here's the plan for the year. I'll keep you posted about how things work. For more garden info, see the links in the sidebar and the Garden tab above.
- Fava Beans: Broad Windsor
- Red Chinese long beans - Got original seed from BC. Now I use our saved seed.
- Green Chinese long beans - Got original seed from BC. Now I use our saved seed.
- Dragon Tongue [our saved seed]
- Freshette green bean. Got the seed from Rural King or Menard's. I can't remember.
Carrot: These will go in the cold frames as soon as the snow melts. I'll plant them again in late August or September in the fall cold frames.
- St Valery
- Sikkim Cucumber: We tried these from a farmer's market last year. Weird, but good.
- Boston Pickling Cucumber
- New York Improved eggplant
- Ping Tung Eggplant
Flowers: zinnia (liliput), calendula [and probably some cosmos. I love cosmos.]
- Siamese Dragon Stir Fry Mix.
- Bibb Lettuce
- Basil, Genovese
- Genovese red basil
- Basil, Lettuce Leaf
- Cilantro, Slo Bolt. Got original seed from BC. Now I use our saved seed. Mostly it self sows.
- Dill. Self sows.
- Thai red roselle- new for us this year. You make a red tea [tisane, actually] out of it. It sounded fun.
- Lavender: My favorite is Impress Purple.
- Thyme: Pennyslvania Tea Thyme is my fave, but we have several others, too.
- Anise Hyssop: I love it and need to plant more.
- Chamomile [self sows]
- Alpine Strawberries
- Clary Sage
- Winter savory
- Lemon balm: Will take over. Keep a tight reign on it.
- Charentais [cantaloupe]
- Uzbek Sweetness Melon
- White Wonder watermelon
- Egyptian walking onions: They did not like the cool summer last year. Fingers crossed I still have some out there after this winter.
- Yellow of Parma onion
- Wethersfield red onion
- Ishikura onion
Peas: Sugar Snap. Love these! Heat tolerant.
Peppers -We're shooting for sweeter, meatier peppers this year.
- Golden Marconi
- Red Marconi
- Melrose pepper
- Jupiter pepper
- Golden California Wonder pepper
Radish: Early Scarlet Globe - the regular red kind. Plant early and late in the cold frames.
Rutabaga: Laurentian Rutabaga [First time with rutabagas]
Sweet potatoes: Georgia Jet. From our own starts.
- Zucchino Rampicante - No new seed this year, so we'll try planting last year's seed and keep our fingers crossed.
- Golden Marbre Scallop [pattypan]
- Lemon Squash
- Castata Romanesco [zucch type]: Early set of fruit. Light. Striped. First one, June 30 last year.
- Australian Butter
- Black Futsu
- Greek Sweet Red
- Golden hubbard
- Honey Boat Delicata
- Musquee De Provence
- Queensland Blue
- Rouge Vif D'Etampes
- Boston Marrow squash
- Galeux d'Eysinee squash
- Delicata squash
- June bearing [from May's]
- Ever bearing [from May's]
- Amish Paste
- Amana Orange
- Belize pink heart tomato
- German red strawberry tomato
- Uncle Mark Bagby tomato
- Pineapple tomato