Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Campfire

© Robin Edmundson, 'Campfire', watercolor, 9 x 12 inches
If you read my last post, you saw that I had spent the last few weeks struggling with a painting for a Mardi Gras exhibit. I did 10 versions of that painting before I finally got one that would do.

Somewhere around #6 I got really really sick of Mardi Gras, so I rooted around my stack of paper and found a drawing I had done way back in the fall of a campfire scene.

So I painted it.

Notice all the humans!   I was so brave.  They actually look like people, too. [Always a good thing!]

This one is a limited palette study in indigo, raw umber and burnt sienna.  It was so nice to use other colors.  Plus, I adore painting fire and smoke.  I had a lot of fun with this one and once I was done I was ready to tackle Mardi Gras again.

Up next:  A series of winter farms and white houses.  I thought I'd take advantage of winter light and muted colors while they're here.  More limited palettes, but spring will come soon enough and then I can use all the colors again.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...