Sunday, November 26, 2017

Goose Pond



Recently, I was thinking about the things that make me happy.  Someone suggested doing a Mind Map  of them - an activity I found very useful for figuring some things out.  I had a whole section of things that lift my spirits.

Goose Pond [and Beehunter Marsh] is one of them.  I love the birding, I love the views, I love the farmland.  It never disappoints.  On Thanksgiving, while the turkey was roasting, we took a drive over there.  Above is one of the views from the new visitor center.   I love these views.

We wound around the hundreds of acres of fields, pools and ponds and right off the bat, we found a bald eagle enjoying his dinner atop a muskrat mound.   He was completely unfazed by the large crow that was flying around close by.

On the drive, we were lucky enough to see 8 whooping cranes.   8 years ago, this was unheard of, but Greene County has been attracting more migratory birds and we were so excited to come upon a feeding pair in a field, then another pair in an other field and then 2 more pairs in a third area. 

We saw hawks, harriers and loads of ducks and even a pair of trumpeter swans - and they were in a pool that was close to the road so we could get a good pic.



So thankful we live near this place.   It makes me want to be a better steward of the property we have. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...