Thursday, August 16, 2018

D. Omer 'Salty' Seamon



This week I went to Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute, Indiana to deliver 22 paintings for an upcoming show there.   [So exciting!].

I knew that Rose-Hulman had been the recipient of the D. Omer Seamon art legacy and that they had dozens of original works by him, but imagine my utter delight when I realized that the room we went to to sign the paperwork was full of these beautiful works - and that I'd get a bit of time to see them up close. 

In the pic above, Christy Brinkman, curator of the Rose-Hulman art collection, is holding one of Salty's rural landscapes.  It's a painting of a small rural cemetery.   I love these places and am thrilled to see them painted in such a warm and peaceful way. 


This is a large painting of some western Indiana barns - some of my own favorite subjects.  I love his treatment of the sky and foreground grass.


One corner of the room is covered with his smaller works hanging on the wall.  Treasures, every single one.  



This tiny painting was about the size of a business card, if that.  Rumor has it that he said the small ones were painted with 'a drop of watercolor'.   


I have a lot to learn from Salty Seamon and fervently hope that I get a chance to spend more time with these beautiful works this year.  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...