Sunday, May 12, 2019

Spirit of Place

© Robin Edmundson, 'Goose Pond - 529', watercolor, 9 x 12 inches.  $375
[Matted and framed to 16 x 20 inches]

On our anniversary in March, I took a bunch of photos of that blustery day at Goose Pond and Beehunter Marsh to use as reference photos for future paintings.

One in particular keep calling me.  It was nothing special - dark rainy clouds, rain obscuring part of the distant trees, a sweep of wet golden grassland.

It took a few weeks to start painting it, but now I can't stop.

I realized that I wasn't responding to the rain or the grass, but rather the spirit of the place.  The wild and windy spirit of that day.  The crazy weather, the birds, frogs, wind, water, snakes, bugs, clouds, sudden blue skies, then more lashing rain.   All of it.   I love all of it.  I can't stop painting it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...