Sunday, October 13, 2019

Ekphrasis - Where art meets poetry

© Robin Edmundson, 'Goose Pond' #530, watercolor, 10 x 14 inches.  $375. 
Available at The Venue on Grant St. in Bloomington, Indiana

A new season is upon us and change is in the air as the larger cycles of nature turn, turn, turn.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I was reminded of the larger cycles of life recently when I was invited to participate in Ekphrasis, a show whose purpose is to pair poets and paintings.  The poet has to write a piece inspired by the painting, without knowing any of the background of the piece.  On the day, the poet recites the piece and then the artist talks briefly about the inspiration for the painting.   What a gloriously fun idea!

Painting and poetry have come full circle in my family.  My grandmother, Emily G. Leisz,  was a gifted poet - and a painter - and she would have loved the idea of Ekphrasis.  I'll be thinking of her when I talk about the inspiration for my piece [above].  I wonder if any of my future family will become a painter or a poet. 

The Ekphrasis presentation is Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at 6:00pm at the Venue on Grant St. in Bloomington, Indiana. 
 
 
P.S.  My current show 'Not Far Afield' is hanging at the Vault at Gallery Mortgage [121 E 6th St. Bloomington, Indiana] until October 29.  Gallery hours are M-F, 9-5.  If you get a chance to see it, I'd love to hear your comments.  

P.P.S.  The truth is that I'm a poet, too.   I have no illusions that I'm any good at it, but it sure is fun.  You can read my poetry HERE.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...