Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Frostbitten Leaves

©Robin Edmundson, 'Frostbitten Leaves', watercolor, 16 x 20 inches. 
Framed to 20 x 24 inches. $595

On very cold days, while the blue shadows linger, the oranges of oak leaves glow through the heavy frost and light snowfall.  I love that shifting light, that combination of exposure and concealment. 

I've been practicing meeting myself at the paper.  Breathing, working slowly, watching the paint and working with it rather than forcing it to do what I think it should.

The truth is, I have control issues. I am fully aware that I'm a control freak.   One of the reasons I chose watercolor is that it is a life lesson for me.   It does what it wants.  I have to learn to work with it instead of controlling it.  This is really good for me. 

I stick with watercolor because I like the way it makes my brain feel.  Less control, more collaboration.  Less forcing, more interaction.   So I meet myself at the paper and breathe and work one step at a time and then pause until the paint tells me what my next options are. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...