Monday, May 11, 2020

Russell's Tree

©Robin Edmundson, 'Russell's Tree', watercolor 18 x 24 inches.

We have a beautiful crabapple tree in our yard that blooms gloriously each May.  It smells divine and draws thousands of pollinators of all kinds to each.   The air is literally abuzz from the moment the first bloom opens. 

I've never tried painting it before.   All those blooms confuse my eye and I'm not confident in simplifying a subject like that.

In the spirit of saying just enough but not everything, I tried anyway, with a more restrained approach - just to see what that was like. pushing the extremes of the lights and darks, leaving out everything else but the tree and the grass.

I'm undecided about how successful it is and will likely sit with it for a few weeks before I touch it again.

I'd love to hear your opinion...Is it done?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...