Saturday, June 27, 2020

Hay Fields & Clouds


©Robin Edmundson, 'Hay Fields & Cloud', 10 x 14 inches.  Framed to 16 x 20 inches.  $375

One of my goals for taking Ian Roberts' drawing class was to have a more anchoring, practical and productive creative process.  [Translated, that means to find a way to actually DO and enjoy doing value studies.  It just makes for better art.]

I started with a drawing from the class [now a study group], and painted draft after draft after draft of the scene, learning all sorts of things along the way. 

The composition evolved.   I stopped looking at the reference photo a drawing pretty quickly and by the 8th draft [the painting above], I was mostly working from memory.

Here is the original drawing:


Working with pencil is a whole different ballgame from working with watercolor, so I am never trying to copy that drawing exactly, but rather take the structure and play with it in different ways until I find one or two that I can live with. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...