Monday, May 14, 2012

Kale

I grew kale this year.   Actually, I planted it in the cold frame in October so we would have kale during the winter.  

It stayed 4 inches high.   Both types - the short stuff and the tall stuff. 

This could have something to do with the fact that I planted  a  LOT of seed and didn't thin it. 

In February, I thinned it out and planted it in the garden.  It loved the cool weather.   It hates the hot weather.  

What a prima donna  [How do you spell that!?]   It faints over 75 degrees.

Anyway.

When I buy kale at the store, it's leathery and sometimes pretty tough.    This homegrown stuff is so not leathery or tough.  It cooks like a dream - quickly, like a manly spinach.   I love it sauteed with butter or olive oil and lots of garlic.   

This is definitely a keeper.   We're going to plant this again in the fall and in the winter cold frame.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...