Friday, June 15, 2012

Peach Raspberry Vanilla Jam

In addition to all the spiced peach jams I made, I wanted something with a little less ping.

I wanted pink instead of ping. 

There are a couple of ways to make peach jam pink.

1.  You can leave the skins on when you cook it, but my kids hate the whole fruit skin thing.  [And I totally roll my eyes whenever it comes up because they Really. Care. Mom.]  So I'd have to get the skins out, or run the whole thing through a sieve, but that seemed like a lot of extra work.   I don't need more work.

2.  You can add food coloring.    Nope.   I don't think so.

3.  You can add red raspberries.  Oh. Yes.

We went with #3.   It's pink AND it combines two lovely flavors.

And then we added vanilla.

Because I totally heart vanilla. 

I might have said that before.

And this is how it went:

Peach Raspberry Vanilla Jam
  • 3 cups peaches
  • 2 cups red raspberries
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup Dutch Jell All Natural Lite pectin  OR  3 Tablespoons Ball Low Sugar Pectin
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons vanilla.
Mix the peaches, raspberries, lemon juice and pectin in a large pot.   Bring to hard rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Boil hard for 1 minute.    Add sugar and vanilla.  Stir well and bring back to hard rolling boil, stirring constantly.   Boil hard for 1 minute.   Ladle into jars and process 10 minutes for canning.  Yield 3 pints.

Note:  You can easily make vanilla extract yourself.   Try it. You'll never go back.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...