Wednesday, September 5, 2012

New Squash - Golden Hubbard

I think a vegetable garden should be full of all sorts of colors, not just 40 shades of green.  One of my favorite things this year is my very, very orange hubbard squash.   I've never grown hubbard before.

I tried, but no success until this year.   And this year,  this year!, I managed to get three of them.  I think it was the extra chicken dirt.
The kids call this the traffic cone squash.  That orange is really loud. 

This squash must be really tasty.   When I turned it over, I found a lot of little holes and marks where critters had been going at it.

If you look at these pics close up, you can see the teeth marks. 

Voles?  I find it equally cool and disturbing.  

Seriously, I can't make up my mind if I'm grossed out or jealous.   This must be some great squash. 

Note:  Rumor has it that when you store these, you should make sure the stem is completely off.   All other squashes store better with a couple of inches of stem on. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...