Thursday, September 5, 2013

Cherry Tomatoes

Tomatoes.   Goddess of the midwestern garden.   We love them raw, hot, straight off the vine.   We love them sliced on sandwiches and in salads.  We love them juiced and pureed in soups and sauces.

We love tomatoes. 

Except for Lily, who really doesn't care for them at all thank you very much. 

Weird, huh.


I grew two types of cherry tomatoes this year.   I had been planning on just one variety, but one from last year volunteered All Over The Place and I just left a few to see what they'd do.    Now I know.

The darker cherry tomatoes are Black Cherry.   I got the seed from Baker Creek.   These are fantastic little tomatoes!  I love them.   They're sweet and delicious.  Instead of turning red, they turn sort of brownish-pinkish and they stayed sort of greenish on top this year.    Weird.   But don't let that stop you from trying these.   They are prolific and excellent tomatoes. I will definitely do these again!

The other cherry tomatoes where volunteers from last year.   Principe Borgese.  They're a grape tomato [which, honestly, are just like cherry tomatoes in my opinion.  Seriously.  I can't tell the difference.]  They lasted last year until frost and produced and produced and produced.   These are great little tomatoes.   More acidic than the Black Cherry ones above, but easy and prolific.   I like these a lot.


See yesterday's post for a description of the big tomatoes that I grew this year.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...