Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Coriander Pickled Carrots

My next experiment in pickling came from a recipe that Shauna Ahern posted herself on the Gluten Free Girl pickle party post.  I had some aging carrots in the fridge and some of last year's coriander seed put away, so I pulled them out to try this. 

These had a nice flavor, but I kept thinking they needed a bit of sweet and more oomph.   [Of course, next to the Szechuan beans, everything seems a little bland.]   Next time I'm going to add 1/2 cup of sugar and  double the amount of coriander.  

Coriander Pickled Carrots
  • Carrots - enough to pack 2 pint jars
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups vinegar - my own white wine vinegar!
  • 1 T canning salt
  • 2 tsp peppercorns
  • 2 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1 inch of ginger, sliced
Peel and slice the carrots into sticks.   Pack them into the 2 jars.  Put 1 tsp of peppers and 1 tsp of coriander into each jar.    Boil the water, vinegar, salt and ginger.   Pour over carrots, covering about 1/2 inch above tops.   Process 10 minutes for canning.    Let sit for at least 3 days before opening. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...