Saturday, August 13, 2011

Melons

I grew a bunch of new kinds of melons this year.    Here is how they are progressing...

These are Sweet Passion.   So far they look like smaller versions of the typical American muskmelon, round and netted.   They'll be ripe in week or so.

These are Sakata's Sweet.   They're not getting very big - just a bit bigger than a softball and they're smooth instead of netted.

And these are Prescott Fond Blanc.    Baker Creek loves them, and as I am highly suggestible, I tried them.   They were the first to set fruit.    These are about 10" in diameter, sectioned and a bit warty.    I can't wait to try them.
I also planted Edisto, which is one of the best muskmelon varieties around, but it's taking its time and the fruit is still the size of a golf ball and hairy. 

Once these are all ripe, I"ll post more photos.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...